The Green Team is committed to making Greenhill a more sustainable place, with a focus on conservation of resources, green buildings, and educating others about smarter eco-friendly habits.
The Green Team is an all-community program that is made up of Greenhill parent volunteers, faculty, staff and students. The goal of the Green Team is to make the School a more sustainable place where we place focus on conservation of resources, green buildings, and educating others about smarter eco-friendly habits. The Green Team has made a big impact on the campus as its recycling rate has increased by 50% since the 2014-15 school year and has been a leader among North Texas schools for their continuing work on a cleaner environment. To learn more about the Green Team, please contact Janice LaMendola.
The Green Team's initiatives can be categorized into the following areas:
Greenhill recently branded its single-stream recycling program called "Keep Greenhill Green" and we have unrolled an in-depth education program to the community. CLICK HERE to read more about Greenhill's Waste Management (Recycling) Program. In separate "e-cycling" bins, we also collect cell phones, ink jet cartridges, small electronics and used batteries. These green bins are located in every building on campus.
Our no-idle zone in carpool areas is designed to reduce vehicle emission exposure for students, reduce our carbon footprint and raise awareness about resource conservation. Carpoolers are encouraged to turn off their car engines while waiting in the carpool line.
In April of 2014, Greenhill became the first school in the entire Southwest to achieve LEED Certification under the Existing Buildings rating system for the Phillip G. Foote Lower School. The Existing Buildings LEED Certification promotes building operational practices that improve environmental sustainability and help with the establishment of ongoing facilities management process improvements. Greenhill achieved LEED Certified status by implementing practical and measurable strategies and solutions aimed at achieving high performance in: sustainable site development, water savings, energy efficiency, materials selection and indoor environmental quality. Read more about this initiative here.
Greenhill does not offer bottled water and rather, encourages the use of re-usable water bottles to limit waste and foster smart use of our resources. All water fountains, outiftted with a "gooseneck spout" for easy refill, dispense filtered water that is odorless and safe, and our campus store always carries ISPA-free water bottles.
1. Please avoid distribution of plastic water bottles on the Greenhill campus for large and small events.
2. For grade level parties and events, order the IGLOO water coolers through the Cafeteria. They will supply IGLOO water coolers with cups.
3. For large student events, encourage students to carry their own reusable, refillable water bottles. Greenhill water fountains supply drinkable filtered water which is odorless and tasteless. They also have goosenecks which make it very easy to use for filling bottles. Please encourage students to use these water fountains.
4. If Plastic Water bottles must be used, please note that that there are RECYCLE BINS all over campus. Please encourage students to use these RECYCLING BINS to recycle plastic water bottles, aluminum cans, glass bottles and paper.
5. Use utensils and server ware that is bio-degradable and/or compostable.