Welcome to Greenhill Lower School, where the building blocks are put in place for continued success!
Our students love coming to school. The dedicated, creative faculty form such strong relationships with the students that it is not unusual to see older students visiting with teachers from prior years. Teachers instill our students with core values by reinforcing basic manners in the early years and working with students in daily teachable moments requiring respect, honor, and compassion.
A commitment to developing the whole child is at the heart of all we do. The essential ingredients of this rich, balanced program include:
• Developing self management and independence
• Promoting social and emotional growth
• Building math, science and problem solving skills in classes taught by dedicated math and science specialists
• Preparing the brain for foreign language fluency through study of Spanish and Chinese
• Creating cultural frameworks with an integrated, theme-based approach to language arts and social studies
• Strengthening physical development, with daily physical education class
• Establishing a solid grounding in fine arts, with a curriculum that provides a full hour of art and music every week
Students develop skills and concepts through authentic learning activities, such as creating a restaurant for our annual Soul Food Café in first grade, dissecting owl pellets in second grade, simulating the Ellis Island immigrant experience as a third grader, or working as a stock broker in the fourth grade Stock Market. Greenhill students develop 21st century abilities as they learn to be flexible and adaptive, synthesize information, and work in teams as well as individuals. When our students leave Lower School, they have a strong sense of themselves and confidence to take on the next level of challenges.
As the leader of the Lower School — as well as a parent of three Lower School children — I am proud to be associated with such a welcoming, joyful, diverse community of children, faculty, and families.
Head of Lower School